The Semaphore Alphabet at the Hill Station which ran from September – October 2013, explored the power of the semaphore and the Telegraph Station, which was constructed at the summit of the hill in 1795. It was one of a chain of signalling buildings, each on a prominent point, which meant news could travel from the South coast into London. This brilliant idea meant that information could be conveyed far quicker than by horse, which at the time was the only alternative. The system was rendered obsolete when the railway arrived at New Cross Gate in the 1830s.
Building on the beauty of the semaphore alphabet local artist Cia Durante and designer Stacey Williams, showed work including a photographic collaboration with children from Edmund Waller Primary School acting out the semaphore alphabet.