Watch 168 sunflowers being dropped from NXL and then come in for light refreshments and a chance to discuss the event and see Lewisham Local History Society’s exhibition of WW1 and WW2 memorabilia and Adrian Harris’s exhibition of photographs from the fall of the Berlin Wall. Facebook link
It will be a fun event with lots of activities to join in with. Most importantly you can help harvesting sunflower seeds direct from the flowers, to provide a legacy for the project! Take some seeds home with you for planting next year to keep New Cross bright, beautiful and bee-friendly for years to come.
What’s happening on the day:
- Facepainting – mark yourself with a bee or a sunflower to support the cause. Both kids and adults are welcome to be painted!
- Bee workshops – find out about bee-friendly planting, keeping bees, take a look at a demo hive and taste some honey!
- Sunflower Photo booth – get a sunflower project souvenir, have your photo taken with fun props & your favourite sunflower!
- Seed harvesting – take seeds away with you to plant at home or at another community garden or project
- Share sunflower seed recipes – email us your favourite recipe with sunflower seeds and we’ll collate it into a handout to share at the event
- Planting next years flowers – help us prepare and plant sunflowers and meadow seeds to bloom next spring on the site by Sainsbury’s
- The event will be held at the Sainsbury’s sunflower site (by the corner of the carpark and petrol station, next to New Cross Gate Station). Drop in anytime between 1 and 4pm.